Sunday 18 March 2012

Drought and Rain

This post is totally off topic and like nothing I have ever posted before, but considering the unusual situation I am now in and the fact that it is Mother’s Day I feel justified in sharing something different.

I may be in the middle of a war zone, miles from my home and my roots, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t get the news.  And the latest thing to catch my eye is talk of a drought in England.  Now remember, I am on a military base, in the middle of the desert!  And of course, I grew up in a country where we knew the true meaning of drought!  It wasn’t a case of we didn’t get enough rain during the previous rainy season, but rather we didn’t get ANY rain in the previous rainy season.  Or the one before that.  Or the one before that!  And it brings to mind a funny but rather fortuitous event which I’d like to share.

As I have said before, my mother was a very active fundraiser in our community when I was growing up.  She staged many a variety show, pantomime and fashion show over the years with the proceeds going to various causes.  Around 1985 (I am not too sure of the exact year) she decided to stage a fashion show with a bit of a difference.  Instead of using the theatre as the venue, she decided to use the pool deck of the local hotel.

As per usual, the fashion show was not merely a bunch of models walking up and down the catwalk, but included appropriate routines to show off the clothes to their best advantage.  The catwalk itself ran along the side of the swimming pool and the audience were seated around the open terrace.  The issue of rain was raised on a number of occasions, but naturally we all laughed and brushed it off.  After all, it hadn’t rained in Redcliff for 4 years!

One of the routines we did was during the sportswear section of the show.  It involved a number of girls and women, wearing various items of sports gear, doing an exercise routine a la the dance workouts that were so popular at the time.  One model, who shall remain anonymous, had great difficulties mastering a specific section of the routine.  It wasn’t that it was complicated, but more a case of she wasn’t a dancer and therefore was unaccustomed to memorising a series of steps and movements.  She really tried, but we teased her endlessly and no-one had much hope that she would get it right on the night.  In fact, it was often jokingly stated that if she did get it, it would probably pour with rain..... have you figured it out?

She did get it right on the night!  And the silly moo then proceeded to jump up and down and proclaim to the audience at large ‘I got it!  I got it!’  The rest of us endeavoured not to dissolve into fits of giggles and to continue with the routine in a professional manner – as the heavens opened and the rain we hadn’t had for the previous 4 years descended on us within the space of about 5 minutes.  And no!  We didn’t just run inside!  We were too shocked!  We just stood there like statues.  Just as the audience froze in their seats.  And once we were all well and truly soaked, everyone rushed for shelter!  Amid much laughter. 

It speaks a lot about our community that no one asked for their ticket money back.  It also speaks volumes that the local club immediately offered facilities for us to relocate the show and continue.  An hour or so after the heavens opened, we recommenced the show.  Maybe the environment was not as attractive, nor did we have the catwalk or decorations.  Instead of a dressing room, we changed in the toilets.  But there was no mistaking the joy in the room – the drought was broken, we were all well and a member of our cast had got it right!  And my amazing mother triumphed again!

Where ever you are Mom, whether you are looking down on me and watching over me, I miss you and I love you and I thank you for giving me so many wonderful memories to share with those I care about.  Happy Mother’s Day to the best Mother anyone could ever ask for xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment