Monday 5 March 2012

It's back again

I suppose it was inevitable, but I really had hoped it wouldn’t happen!  It’s back ... not debilitating – not even close to the level it has been in the past.  But back just the same.

Of course, I am talking about the Depression.  Yes, I know it was never truly gone, but it was so well masked by the medication that I honestly believed I had a handle on it.  I didn’t need the therapy any more, nor the support group.  Or so I thought.  And strangely, the fact that the Depression is back makes me more depressed!  I know the Doctor has told me that I will most likely battle with it for the rest of my life, but I was beginning to think that it would just be odd moments that would be numbed by the tablets.

Not so.  It’s a real kicker!  I feel inadequate and broken.  The feelings that I am not good enough are lurking in the back of my mind, niggling away at my consciousness and causing me to question everything I do and say.  Please, don’t think that I am saying that I feel anywhere near the absolute low that I experienced two years ago, because I don’t.  But the sad fact is that I need to accept that this is it.  This is what I will have to deal with for the rest of my life. 

And I look at the people around me and wonder how I would have turned out if I’d had their life.  Not so much their opportunities or lack thereof, but the sexual security with which they grew up.  I am again finding myself hating Alex for what he stole from me.  As much as I am telling myself that I cannot let him ruin the rest of my life, right now I am finding it hard to believe that.  I can’t seem to fight it.  The anger is building up inside me yet again and I admit, I am frightened!  I just don’t know how it will manifest itself this time around.

I question whether I will be able to control the destructive tendencies that take over my psyche.  One way or another, I always end up doing or saying something that results in pain.  Pain for me and pain for those who care about me.  And that is the one thing that I am clinging on to ... this time around I realise that there are people who care about me.  There are people out there to whom it matters whether I live or die.  And that makes the difference!

1 comment:

  1. If I had a magic wand
    I would take away your pain
    I would wish you back
    To the day before
    You experienced your bane

    He would never get his hands on you
    And your life would new unfold
    But I haven't got a wand my friend
    And so your stories told

    Instead I give to you my friend
    My heart, my hand, my soul
    To walk with you through darkened days
    To finally find your goal

    To peace and ease of mind and heart
    Of which you too can find
    While we as friends are far apart
    But in experience we bind

    I wish for you a mind of ease
    To make of what you will
    For you will see one day my friend
    How the pain inside to still

    A poem by Dippy Hippy
    Dedicated to Belladonna with love

    ReplyDelete