Wednesday 9 October 2013

Saying Goodbye

It's that time of year again in the 'Stan - RIP.  RIP stands for Relief in Place, which is the process whereby the next the military serving here are replaced with fresh troops.  As always, I can't go into too much detail, although the information is freely available on the Internet if you want to look it up.

Needless to say, though, this is a hard time for me and a lot of others who work here permanently.  Even though I vow each time that I will not get attached to the new batch, in no time at all I have generally 'adopted' a few of them.  I find it difficult, as a mother, to distance myself emotionally from these young men and women who have given up their lives to serve their country.  To me they are special and inspiring.  When you strip away all the bravado and banter, you always find an honourable and amazing young person.  How many people can honestly say that they would gamble with their own lives to protect or improve the lives of others, because ultimately, that is what these people do out here - everyday!!

I suppose it is because I hold them in such high esteem and of course, also because many of them are younger than my own sons, I get pretty close to them and I can genuinely say that I care about them and their welfare.  So when the time comes to say goodbye, it is with very mixed feelings.  

On the one hand I am so happy for them.  They are going home, safe and sound, to their friends and families.  They are returning to their normal, more comfortable and decidedly safer lives.  But on the other hand, I feel almost heartbroken.  I have to accept that although we may have become really close, the environment out here enhances everything, including relationships and once they return to their normal lives, I will probably never hear from them again. 

Don't get me wrong, I understand that and I don't blame them at all.  But it doesn't make it any easier to say goodbye and watch them walk away.  I will hold back the tears and enjoy the moments we have, especially those who specifically look me up before they leave.  And I will wish them well and pray that they have long, happy and productive lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment