Monday 14 October 2013

Support

I wonder why it is that most people love being there for their friends and colleagues in times of need, but yet when we are the one's who need the support, we feel as though we are a burden and don't deserve it?  We will readily offer someone we care about a shoulder to cry on, but are reluctant to do the reverse?

I've had two friends and colleagues today who I've noticed are in a bad place emotionally.  Both of them have been there for me in the past when I've needed them, but neither thought to come to me in their time of need.  In fact, both of them didn't want to burden anyone else with their problems.

It's even harder out here for civilians too.  When we are under stress at work or suffering emotionally, especially when we are saying goodbye to people we've become close to, we try to handle it on our own.  I have heard the phrase, 'Yes but there are people going through much worse things out here' so many times, I've lost count.  We do, as civilians tend to shoulder a much bigger burden and grin and bear it a lot more than those living in 'regular' places.

For example, when we are ill or in pain, it takes a lot for us to visit the Med Centre.  Speaking for myself, I find it hard to turn up at the Med Centre, complaining of a sore wrist or a sore back when I think of what the Medical teams out here deal with on a daily basis.  It's even harder going to them about feeling low or stressed when we consider what most of the guys and girls out here go through.  How can we admit to not coping when all we do is work in shops and coffee shops?  We fail to realise that pain and suffering or symptoms of stress are personal to us, and cannot really be compared to what anyone else is going through.  

And we forget that most people would get a sense of personal satisfaction from helping us to feel better, just as we would if the roles were reversed.  It is only the most insensitive of people who would consider us less deserving of help and support and their opinion shouldn't really matter to any thinking person.  All of us out here are in a very challenging environment and deserve as much love and support as we need.  Now, if only I could not just say that, but believe it and convince those around me to believe it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment