Tuesday 16 December 2014

Christmas

Christmas. It is just around the corner and it truly amazes me how it means so many different things to so many different people. To some, it is about the gifts, the decorations, to others it is about the festivities and parties. There are those who focus on the spiritual side and for some it is just another day. But for me, it is all about family - those I love and hold dear, whether they are still with me or live only in my memory.

But this year, it looks like I will be spending another Christmas in the Land of Sand, away from those I love, but surrounded by those I care about deeply. I'm actually finding it quite hard being around them this year, as clearly most of them are missing their families and no matter how hard we try, there is just no way to make it up to them. All we can do is keep smiling and laughing, trying to make things as festive as is possible in this environment.

The cookhouse/DFAC have pulled out all the stops and the dining area hosts a myriad of decorations, Christmas trees and balloons. The twinkling lights add a slightly surreal touch to our mealtimes. Within our facility we have also made an effort to decorate, albeit with bits and pieces of broken trees and decorations from previous Christmases. It is amazing what you can do with a little bit of ingenuity. 

I'm not too sure whether the decorations are making a difference, but I personally feel better for having made the effort. I also try to sit with the guys and girls whenever I can, steering their conversations to their favourite Christmas memories and what they plan to do when they get back to their families. It isn't hard to get a smile out of them and for me, that is my reward. 

So please, if you are reading this, spare a thought on Christmas Day for those who are out here serving their countries. What is happening out here may not be something you support personally, but our Armed Forces sign on to serve and selflessly defend those who cannot always defend themselves. They go where they are sent and do as they are told and in my opinion, they are an absolute credit to the nations that they represent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment