Wednesday 31 December 2014

New Year

This is probably going to be a very short post. I am currently sitting in a small cafe on an International Military Base in the middle of Afghanistan. The group with whom I am travelling is an eclectic mix of British civilians and servicemen. We are delayed here indefinitely and are now contemplating spending New Years Eve in an environment that is not entirely hospitable and definitely a long way from our friends and family. And I have surprised myself.

Yes, I am disappointed that I am not home with my boys and of course I am frustrated by the fact that I have no idea when I will get out of here. But my mindset has changed so much that I have accepted the situation and even believe that there is probably a reason for why this is happening, even though I may never find out what that reason is.

Instead, I am determined to make the most of the situation and grasp whatever opportunities present themselves whilst I am here. The celebrations of the incoming New Year will most likely be somewhat subdued, but I am alive to partake in it and am not really missing any major events at home.

My heart goes out to one of the Servicemen with us. He is stuck here with us, but is supposed to be getting married in just over a week. I cannot even imagine how he must be feeling, let alone his bride to be, waiting for him at home. Or the young lad who could not take his R&R flight and is now stuck with us as his leave time ticks away. And the other young men and women out here, miles away from their loved ones, serving their different countries.

When I think about it, what do I have to feel down about, so to all of you reading this, I wish you a very Happy New Year and please, always look for the positives in your life and don't sweat the bad stuff. It will all pass in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment