Wednesday 17 December 2014

Protecting Children and Young People from Sexual Predators

Well, I've been mulling over this post for a few days now. I've also had a few conversations with some of the lads out here and frankly, I am stunned by the fact that most people understand so little about the issues and dangers surrounding the subject. 

As a Victim, Survivor and Thriver myself, I have met and spoken to a lot of others who have been through this. All our experiences are the same and yet at the same time completely different. But time and again, the same basic things come to the fore.  We can protect future generations from these horrific crimes and it really only requires common sense.

Please bear in mind, this is MY OPINION, based on my experiences and those of others that I have met. I AM NOT AN EXPERT by any means, but I have probably had a lot more exposure than many others who deliver their opinions as though they should be written in stone. 

So, here goes. Read what I say and use your own judgement, but please, please, please, if you have or know of children who might be at risk, think and don't just sit back and do nothing.

Children become victims for many reasons and as much as the Police and Governments can create and enforce all kinds of laws in this area, there are always going to be those who slip through the cracks. I believe the best protection we can provide our children is good parenting. More than anything else, children need to feel loved and respected. They need to know and understand their boundaries. They need to know that no matter what, their parents will be there for them and will talk to them and listen to them. No subject should be out of bounds and total openness should be the norm. 

I know that last probably sounds scary, but I was once told that a child will never ask a question that they are not ready to hear the answer to. And with my own boys I have found this to be 100% true. If they are asking a question, there is almost always a reason for it. I remember questioning my mother about sanitary towels and tampons when I was about nine.  She did not react well, not realising that the reason I was asking was quite specific. I was being abused and had latched on to the topic as a way to open the conversation. I do not blame my Mom for shutting me down, especially bearing in mind that people in those days were not aware of child sexual abuse. But that one conversation could have completely changed my life. 

We already have a lot of information flying around with regards Child Sexual Abuse, so if we practise openness and honesty with our children, we give them another layer to their armour.

Of course, this all mostly applies to children, but what we teach our children carries through into young adulthood when they may be exposed to sexual predators of a different type. But again, a young person who feels loved and valued in their home is far less likely to be open to approaches by these people. And bearing in mind that most abusers are known to the victims, either family members or close family friends, if the young person has the security of a loving home, sure.y they will be less open to these animals.


No comments:

Post a Comment