Saturday 23 October 2010

Family Dynamic

I wouldn’t say that we were a happy family, but I also would not class us as unhappy.  Luke and I had a good, comfortable home, were always well fed and well dressed and I should have known that my parents would always be there for us in times of trouble.  We had a stable father, who supported his family and never strayed.  We had a mother who would stand up for what she believed in and defend those she knew needed defending.

Probably, in most respects, my mother wore the trousers in the relationship.  But my father was no wimp.  He was also someone that people could count on.  He had moved to Southern Rhodesia to assist his sister after she lost her husband.  He helped her to support her three children and by all accounts, was a father figure to them.  I wish I could have appreciated them more when I was growing up and realised just how lucky I was to have such fantastic parents.  It’s funny what you don’t see when you are a child.  How much that should be obvious, if only you look hard enough.

But I didn’t look hard enough, I didn’t see it and I didn’t know what I had until much later in my life.  How much of my life would have been different if I knew then what I know now?  But isn’t that the truth for so many people?  We miss out on appreciating so many things because we just cannot see beyond the end of our noses.  Or maybe that was just part of his manipulation?  

No comments:

Post a Comment