Wednesday 27 October 2010

Returning to work

My aunt and uncle were not well either.  I believed that the only way I could deal with what had happened was to confront Alex, who had moved to Australia with his wife and their family.  But how could I destroy my whole family and subject my aunt and uncle to such a distressing situation?  I wasn’t worth it.

Eventually, I resorted to registering with a temping agency.  I was no great catch and surely any work, even part time, would be better than nothing?  Boy was that move a good decision, one of the few I have ever made.

I was placed with the Fire Service on a four day contract.  My job was to answer the phones when the other ladies were out of the office.  Not exactly challenging, but considering where I was mentally, ideal.  

But I was bored out of my mind.

As a result of my constantly asking if there was any other work I could do to help out, a senior manager asked if I would be willing to sort out his new office.  The previous occupant had departed the organisation, leaving a great deal of old paperwork and documents.  I would be required to go through everything, figuring out what would still be useful and what wouldn’t.  The hope was that I could turn the office into something approaching habitable.

I attacked the job with relish and within one day, I completed the task.  He was impressed and got to talking to me about my work background, experience and skills.  Out of that four day contract came an offer of a three month contract, with a possible additional three months.  I jumped at the opportunity.
 
The post was to coordinate a large multi-agency presentation in secondary schools throughout our county.  The challenge was huge and exactly what I needed.  And as the work involved a form of safety education, I got to help people into the bargain. 

I started work near the end of 2008 and immediately immersed myself in the job.  There was so much to do and not a lot of time to get everything in place.  It was right up my street and suited my personality exactly.  I was doing something that would ultimately make a difference in people’s lives and was working under pressure which allowed me to bury my problems.

My alternative Bella was accepted without question and everyone believed that I was this confident, strong and capable woman.  Whenever there was a lull in my workload, I was quick to offer my assistance to members of other teams within my department.  If there is one thing I hate, it is having nothing to do.  So this further perpetuated the false impression.

No comments:

Post a Comment